Thursday, November 8, 2012

Nicol Bolas is behind it all!

I've been running with my mono-black demons deck for a while. I like the way it worked out. It has it's strengths and weaknesses, but I don't get eye-rolling or groans from across the table when I shuffle up. That's important.

My mono-blue Eldrazi deck on the other hand is a problem. I'm not sure I'd want to be sitting across the table from third-turn Eldrazi game after game either. It's too bad, really. The Eldrazi are so cool! And flavorful! And delicious! And yet, not playing Magic because it's no fun for anyone else isn't a whole lot of fun for me, either.

So, I'm thinking of taking both decks apart. It's time to cannibalize them and try something new. Grixis control, light on the creatures, heavy on the Bolas. This will give me a chance to work in more planeswalkers and try a different strategy at the table. WWBD? (What would Bolas do?)

Nicol BolasNicol Bolas, Planeswalker

I may need to pick up a copy of Cruel Ultimatum and Gem of Becoming to make it really feel like Bolas, but there is a lot of cross-over in cards for a blue, black, and red deck from my other decks. One thing I'd like to try this time is not running all of the fancy multi-lands. You know, "multi-lands," the ones that tap for more than one color of mana. There's nothing I hate more than lands that come into play tapped, even if it is conditional. It feels like a partial Time Walk for everyone else at the table. Besides, if I'm careful about the colored mana symbols and include enough land searching, I'll bet I won't even notice. (I may put in the old school dual lands, though: Volcanic Island, Badlands, and Underground Sea.)

Cruel UltimatumGem of Becoming

No comments:

Post a Comment