Saturday, November 3, 2012

Off-color Fetch Lands

Sheldon Menery recently posted an article on Star City Games where he mentioned this:
Marsh Flats:  There's a big discussion right now on one of the forums about whether a card like Marsh Flats should be allowed in mono-black. While stylistically I think players should choose to not play it, there is no way to write a concise and cohesive rule that would prevent mono-black from playing Marsh Flats that wouldn't also prevent green from playing River Boa.
Generally, I agree with Sheldon. My mono-black deck doesn't use fetches for this very reason. However, I've been working on a mono-blue deck containing several cards that care about the top card of my library. Since part of the way the deck is designed to work would benefit from the synergy of using fetch lands, is it reasonable (stylistically) to include the fetches in this case?

Future SightPolluted Delta

For reference, I'm talking about Future Sight, Magus of the Future, and Sensei's Divining Top. Other cards like, Brainstorm, Preordain, Halimar Depths, Ponder, and Impulse can work better if I can choose to get "new cards" on top of my deck before playing them.


Simple, useful cases for using a fetch to reorder the library are: When I have Future Sight out (or Magus) and I get "stuck" on a land. Future Sight is bonkers if you can keep going. Or, using the Top to see the top three cards of the library and deciding that I'd really rather have another three options.

Including fetch lands in the deck make the lines of play feel more technical, which is something that I enjoy. On the downside, they don't fit with the deck stylistically (with this possible exception) and they increase the frequency of shuffling, which is something I try to avoid.

Do you use off-color fetch lands in your decks?

No comments:

Post a Comment