Sunday, May 26, 2013

Spotlight: Akroma's Memorial

Akroma is awesome*. Don't believe me? Check it out!

Akroma, Angel of Wrath

One of the coolest parts of Magic is how the Legendary Creatures are used to tell a story about the set(s) they appear in. Visit the MTG Salvation wiki to read more about Akroma. Spoiler alert: Akroma dies.


What better way to honor the fallen Akroma with a sweet-ass statue?

Akroma's Memorial

That's quite an inscription. Well, there you go.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of big artifacts. And at 7 mana, this one packs a wallop. I often play a black deck, so when I see this hit the table across from me it's usually game over. I have a handful of ways to either deal with it or block the protection from black creatures bearing down on me, but not many.

Red and black decks make an appearance at almost every table. Giving your creatures protection from both colors usually spells doom for those players. In addition, Akroma's Memorial hands out flying and takes the fight to the air. But wait! There's more. First strike, vigilance, trample, and haste? Sure, why not.

Does that sword look familiar?

Sword of Vengeance

There it is. Apparently the protection from red and black (and the flying) has something to do with Akroma herself. The sword on the other hand gives a boost to attack and the other goodies. I like this sword, but I usually end up running other equipment. Akroma's Memorial, on the other hand, doesn't need to be equipped and gives the juice to all of your creatures. That sort of "continuous effect" is powerful in the Commander format. Heck, just giving haste to all of your creatures is powerful. Everything else is sweet, sweet icing on the cake.

*Akroma is awesome, just maybe not as awesome as Avacyn. Oh, power creep. I think it might be the sexy eye-liner that makes her indestructible. Or, maybe the time she spent in prison. :)

Avacyn, Angel of Hope




No comments:

Post a Comment