Sunday, February 3, 2013

Bolas Starts Taking Heads

Lots of changes to my Nicol Bolas deck now that the new Dimir cards are out in Gatecrash. Let's review.

Cards I took out:

Void
Slice and Dice
Oblivion Stone

VoidSlice and DiceOblivion Stone

Sweepers are fine, but I got tired of wiping the board so much. Resetting everything prolongs the game and tends to wear players out. It's a great control strategy, but I wanted to tone it down in this deck. Besides, with all the control magic in this deck, I don't actually want to kill the creatures; I want to take them!

Savor the Moment

Savor the Moment

I'm still a fan of this card. It is especially useful with Planeswalkers. For 1UU, it replaces itself with a draw, gives you another attack, and gives you another round of planeswalker activations. I still have two other "time walk" spells in the deck, but I might pull Walk the Aeons and put this back in.

Tidings
Dreamstone Hedron
Recurring Insight

TidingsDreamstone HedronRecurring Insight

Most of the time, I have spells that I want to play that actually do something. Drawing cards for the sake of drawing cards almost never takes priority. Taking these cards out made some room for the stuff I added (below). I still have Fact or Fiction, the flying Fact or Fiction (Sphinx of Uthuun), Kozilek, Rhystic Study, the Jaces, Future Sight, the walking Future Sight (Magus of the Future), and more. Getting access to more cards is rarely a problem.

Thirst for Knowledge
Brainstorm

Thirst for KnowledgeBrainstorm

For similar reasons as above, I wanted to tone down the deck manipulation and put in more effects (below). I still have Ponder, Impulse, Halimar Depths, Forbidden Alchemy, and Scroll Rack.


Cards I put in:

Consuming Aberration
Mind Grind
Keening Stone

Consuming AberrationMind GrindKeening Stone

Consuming Aberration and Mind Grind are from Gatecrash. Both are pretty damn cool. Both can take big bites out of every opponents' library at the same time. Along with Keening Stone, these spells bolster the milling theme and go along with Geth, the Jaces, and Telemin Performance. These make Bloodchief's Ascension, Liliana Vess, Sepulchral Primordial, and Wrexial better.

Whispersilk Cloak

Whispersilk Cloak

This should probably be Darksteel Plate, but since I am not running the Whispersilk Cloak in any of my other decks it's "okay" to put in here. My Bolas deck is only running cards that I am not running anywhere else. I wanted at least one way to keep my creatures from getting jacked or killed since they form one of the major themes in this deck.

Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief
Wrexial the Risen Deep
Sepulchral Primordial

Drana, Kalastria BloodchiefWrexial, the Risen DeepSepulchral Primordial

I wanted to up the creature count for two reasons. One, it helps me protect my planeswalkers. And two, it pushes the "useful creature" theme I'm working on. I like the idea of creatures with reusable (or powerful) abilities. These three creatures fit the bill.

Dark Depths

Dark Depthshttp://www.mtgmintcard.com/images/products/170/MAGIC-THE-GATHERING-PROMO-CARDS-MARIT-LAGE-TOKEN-COLDSNAP-FOIL-PRMC109.jpg

The flavor on this land is awesome and very Bolas. You drop the land. Load it up with counters. Then, sit back and slowly funnel mana into it until, well, the thing that should not be. I don't have any tricky ways to remove the counters. And, I'm okay with that. Plus, I have the foil Marit Lage token. It'll be a personal victory to get that guy into play at some point.

All Is Dust


All Is Dust

I know that I said I wanted to get rid of the sweepers. And I did tone it down some by removing the three spells above. But, bringing a knife to a gun fight isn't a great idea either. All Is Dust takes care of most problems by getting around those pesky "indestructable" permanents, regenerators, and more! It's a one-stop death shop. When you absolutely, positively, need (almost) everything dead, accept no substitutes. Great artwork, too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment