Sunday, August 14, 2016

Deck in Pictures: The Usual Suspects, Mono-Black Commander

Just because I mostly play Commander online through MTGO doesn't mean I stopped collecting physical cards. I've been collecting Magic cards for almost 20 years. I'm a sucker for foreign cards, signed cards, promos, and anything that just looks cool! There's something about shuffling, tapping, and drawing physical cards that is a unique and special part of the experience.

I thought it might be fun to start a series to show some of the cool cards I've collected over the years. Up first, take a look at my mono-black commander deck, The Usual Suspects.

Hold up for a note about the card sleeves before we get to the pictures. I am using the earlier version of the Ultra Pro textured sleeves, where the clear front of the card sleeve is also textured. This tends to make the foils look muted and reduces the reflection.



Behold! Sheoldred.

Foreign, foil, promo, with alternate art. All that, and she locks down games like a boss. Has trouble fitting through doorways.



Behold! The small creatures.

Lot's of foreign cards. Love 'em. The Titan is a foil promo, alternate art. The Sangromancer is foil. Don't be fooled. She is incredible.



Behold! The Demon squad.

More foreign cards. More foils. More promos! All foil except for the Rune-scarred and Lord of the Void.



Behold! The 'walkers.

A bunch of powerful planeswalkers. Vess is foreign. Explaining her abilities to the other people at the table is a fun mini-game!



Behold! Crazy enchantments.

Artist Mark Tedin signed the Necropotence for me with a white pen. Looks sweet.



Behold! Colorless creatures.

A couple promos. Foreign, foil, promo, alternate art Steel Hellkite. Don't be fooled. Steel Hellkite is a savage beating. It wins games.



Behold! Removal.

The closest I get to running spot removal is Ashes to Ashes. The difficult to read card (glare) is the full-art, foil, promo, textless, Damnation. This is a beautiful card. The full-art, promo, Black Sun's Zenith is a close second.



Behold! Tutoring and Card Drawing.

The foreign black-bordered (FBB) Demonic Tutor with original art is quite a looker. Ambition's Cost is the foil 8th edition with a black border. Yawgmoth's Will is signed in gold pen by artist Ron Spencer. I have a Pete Venters signed Demon Token for the Promise of Power.



Behold! Ramp and Utility artifacts.

More foreign cards. More signatures. Artist Mark Tedin signed FBB Sol Ring, original Mana Crypt, and Mana Vault. Foil, alternate art, promo Lightning Greaves look even faster. Foreign Memory Jar. Artist signed original Sensei's Divining Top.



Behold! Ramp and Utility lands.

Artist signed original art Maze of Ith, FBB Strip Mine, Foreign Volrath's Stronghold and Deserted Temple. Foreign Cabal Coffers. Lots of fun stuff here.



Behold! Basic Lands!?

Matching John Avon, full-art, Unhinged basic Swamps. When these were released in the Unhinged Set, I lost my mind. The art is amazing. The effect on the battlefield when I play Swamp after matching Swamp is so cool. It took me forever to collect enough of these to finish the deck! Second best Swamp in all of Magic, right behind the Japanese, MPS, foil promo. (I'll post a picture with my other deck, later.)

If you want to see larger versions of these pictures, click here for the album. Zoom!

I also have some cool tokens and lots of other cards that I sometimes put in the deck, other foreign cards, other promos. This isn't the best deck in the world, but I always feel amazing dropping huge demons onto the battlefield and drawing tons of cards. When it works, it works. And it looks good doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment