Thursday, February 11, 2021

Alter Sleeves MTG: An Attempt Was Made

I love altered MTG cards. Customizing Commander decks runs deep, I guess. And it runs in all different directions. In my Magic travels, I ran across this website:

https://www.altersleeves.com/

These alters look awesome. I haven't seen any in person, but at least on screen they look awesome. And the idea is simple and brilliant! Mass produced alters! By printing the alters on the inner sleeves, the player can swap the card in without any fuss.

So, I decided that a quick first draft was in order. I pulled a Worn Powerstone from my main Commander deck, grabbed a Sharpie marker, and started drawing on the inner sleeve. It looked like this.

The card on the right is untouched. The Sharpie is only marked up on the inner sleeve on the left. This is a low-risk way to alter a card. Don't like how it turned out? Replace the sleeve and start over. Want to try something new? Great! Grab a new sleeve and start drawing. Want to draw on an expensive card? Go for it. Well, go for it by drawing on the sleeve.

Here's what the card looks like inside the inner sleeve.


Does it look great? Heck no! But for a first try, this plan has promise. The stress level for doing an alter like this is low. 

Here it is in the outer sleeve.


Does it look like a Sharpie alter? Of course it does. That's what it is. The light/camera isn't doing it any favors either. I'm looking forward to trying this with some better markers. Colors! I'll bet even a thin layer of white paint with marker on top would work.

Ultimately, if you find a design you like at a website like Altered Sleeves, that might be the way to go. There are so many cool options. But if you want to try a low-risk, stress-free way to customize your deck, try altering your inner sleeves instead of the cards themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment