Thursday, May 21, 2020

Old School MTG: Titania's Green Shops



I'm on a quest to build an artifacts-focused deck in each color this year. With white and black behind me, green is up next. Green is a tricky color to make work in an artifact-focused deck. There are plenty of good green cards that can work in a deck that also has artifacts, but finding a card that supports the artifacts is the trick. The other colors have something obvious that interacts favorably with artifacts. For green, I decided on Titania's Song.



Since the Song turns non-creature artifacts into creatures, higher casting cost artifacts can come out of nowhere and start the beat down. Moxes die due to the zero casting cost, though. That's not great to be on the receiving end of, but at least it's symmetrical. The Song let me work in some artifacts that otherwise aren't that great but that can turn into huge surprise robots.

What's better than a robot? A surprise robot.



I decided to also work Millstone into the deck. Millstone interacts favorably with Sylvan Library and can be turned on the opponent depending on how the game develops. The trick of putting back two card you don't want with the Sylvan and then milling yourself to take a look at three new cards on your turn is powerful when it works.

Ben gives me the thumbs up as he throws creatures at me for the win. Millstone beatdown?


I played a few games against Ben via webcam. He brewed up a few new decks that put me in the dirt. It wasn't close. There was one game where he had triple Lightning Bolt + Chain Lightning to take me from 12 to 0 in one turn. I might have been able to turn the corner in that game, but the burn would have caught up with me a turn later either way.

Not a bad turn 2 after she used Strip Mine to take care of my other Island!
I also played some games at home with the family. We switched decks around as we played, which was fun to see it working from the other side of the table. The deck might need one more Mirror Universe to buy time. It creates a fun mini-game against aggressive decks. During one game where I was playing against this deck, I got mirror-swapped and killed with Hurricane. That was fun!


The green deck using Titania's Song to animate artifacts is fun. It's not going to light up the tournament scene any time soon, but where else are you going to get to attack with a 10/10 Aladdin's Lamp?

No comments:

Post a Comment