Sunday, July 1, 2012

Play With Cards You Like



Elbrus, the Binding Blade

Had a chance to play a few Commander games recently. I've been running Elbrus, the Binding Blade for a while now, but had never actually played it until this weekend.

I was playing my mono-black Griselbrand demons deck in a 1v1 match-up. A situation came up where I had an active Solemn Simulacrum and 8 mana open on my turn. My opponent didn't have a blocker and was basically tapped out. With 8 mana, I could have cast Griselbrand from my command zone. I also could have cast a few other demons I had in my hand, but instead I cast Elbrus for 7 and equipped the emo robot for 1.
Withengar Unbound
The robot went into the red zone and attacked for 3 damage! It was enough.

I had found my opening and finally unleashed the 13/13 flying, intimidate, trample demon who, as it turns out, cannot satisfy his thirst for retribution given even all of the lives on Innistrad. Bottom line: he has issues. The Withengar was unbound... unbounded... unboundeded.

There were better, safer plays that turn. Heck, there are better cards to fill the slot that Elbrus is in. But, don't forget to play with cards that you like. The artwork on Elbrus is great. The "transform" mechanic is interesting. It's in-theme for my deck. And I have a foil copy in a special sleeve sitting off to the side that I can not-so-casually refer to in a threatening manner part way through the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment