Monday, August 20, 2012

Backsliding with Grixis

I played in a three-player game over the weekend. My Commander was Nicol Bolas, vs. Will with Kaervek, and Chris with Teneb.

Nicol BolasKaervek the MercilessTeneb, the Harvester

I know that I said I was all-in on black. But my Forbidden Alchemy was just begging to be played. From there a Consecrated Sphinx showed up and pretty soon I had a pile of Blue / Black / Red ready to go. Don't worry, though. The mono-black demons deck wasn't touched. I thought we would have time to play a couple of games, but this one took a while.

Forbidden AlchemyConsecrated Sphinx

Although I ended up winning, it was Chris who would have won except for a house rule we use that saved me and let me turn the game around. Chris had played a huge Storm Herd, dropping a bunch of tokens on the table. I was certainly dead next turn. But I couldn't seem to draw any lands, so the house rule kicked in.


Storm Herd

The anti-mana-screw house rule works like this. "If a player misses a land drop for three consecutive turns, that player may reveal cards from the top of their library until they reveal a land card and put it into play. The other revealed cards are put on the bottom of that players library in a random order."

We understand that this rule can be abused, but it hasn't been a problem. Missing three lands drops in a row is bad news. So anyway, I end up revealing a mountain and cycling Slice and Dice to kill off the tokens. Then I proceed to attack with Wrexial by swampwalking over to Chris, connecting, and casting Storm Herd myself from his graveyard.

Slice and DiceWrexial, the Risen Deep

My U/B conundrum keeps bugging me. If only Wrexial was a demon so that I could keep the deck in-theme. Maybe I'll just cross out his creature type and write in "Demon" on the card. That will work, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment