Friday, January 4, 2013

Dimir Decking and Backup Plans

With more Gatecrash cards being spoiled every day, I'm getting antsy to see what else the developers have put into the set for Dimir. The new "guildleader" and guildmage look pretty good. Lazav and company are going to fit right in to a new Commander deck.

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=138252&stc=1&d=1357016726http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=138360&d=1357243181

Right now, the deck is just a pile of cards waiting for the rest of Gatecrash to come out. But, there are some major themes. Somewhere, not that deep down, I'm a Vorthos. That means that I'm not just building a deck that runs people out of cards. I'm also building a deck that reflects what I "feel" represents House Dimir. It means that certain cards just aren't going to make the cut, not matter how good they are if they don't fit how I think the deck should feel.

That said, losing for the sake of losing isn't fun either. So, there's a fine line between being a strict, by-the-book player and bending things to make a deck work.

For example, I don't want to include any infinite combos in the deck. I just don't. I think it's no fun to play against. So, I can't rely solely on decking people to win. There are too many random ways to stop that from happening and putting together a one-trick pony deck gets boring for game two anyway.

Even though "poison" and "infect" are not explicitly in Dimir, I think they would feel right at home with that brand killing. Plus, it's a very efficient way to kill someone that otherwise refuses to run out of cards. So, how does Dimir use poison? Like this:

Glistening OilTainted StrikeGrafted ExoskeletonPhyresisCorrupted ConscienceSewers of Estark

You see, first I'm going to make you put creatures in your graveyard. Then, I'm going to take those creatures from you. Finally, I'm going to infect them and send them back at your head, but sneaky-like. Deal with it.

If that doesn't work, there are a few ways to turn library milling into damage. The new Duskmantle Guildmage is one of them:

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=138360&d=1357243181Bloodchief Ascension

Bonus! These two cards play nice together. Aww, isn't that precious?

But the real workhorses for milling cards are artifacts and a few great creatures, including the new Horror for Dimir in Gatecrash:

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=138286&d=1357102982Szadek, Lord of SecretsMindcrankMesmeric Orb

And lest we not forget Shadow of Doubt, the card that I think has the coolest artwork in Magic. It doesn't do anything spectacular. Heck, it doesn't really further our plans. But it does replace itself right away, which is nice. Plus, it's neat to look at.

Shadow of Doubt


No comments:

Post a Comment