Saturday, June 22, 2013

1st Place at Commander Tournament

Better lucky than good.

Due to a string of lucky events, I took first place at a Commander tournament today at my local gaming store. I played a modified version of Demons (decklist below).

Lucky event #1:
  • The store was hosting a Modern Masters tournament today, so we only had 10 players in the Commander tournament. The "hardcore" players were playing in the other tournament.

Lucky event #2:
  • No one was playing combo during my first round (pod, table, whatever).

I was able to control table one long enough to knock out one player and sit behind my Forcefield and Maze of Ith while forcing damage through with my demons.

ForcefieldMaze of Ith

Lucky event #3:
  • The winner of the first round at the table on my left decided to drop. He was playing Chieftain and would have likely won. This left me and the winner from the table on my right, playing Zur, to fight it out 1-vs-1 in the final round.

As it turns out, mono-black control does well when I can kill Zur every turn. He was able to drop Swiftfoot Boots into play followed by Zur at one point. He chose to use Zur's ability to get Prison Term for my Rune-Scarred Demon instead of making Zur indestructible. But I topdecked Decree of Pain to kill Zur for the 3rd time.

Like I said, better lucky than good.




No comments:

Post a Comment