Saturday, December 14, 2019

Old School MTG: Colorless Robots - Big Boys (Sometimes Cry)



It's December! That makes it 12 months of Old School MTG decks on this blog. My deck for this month includes robots, of course. It's based on a deck by Anne J called "Big Boys (Don't Cry)."

Here's a few links to the deck:
Tappedout (Decklist)http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/old-school-9394-big-boys-dont-cry/
Timmy Gameplay 1https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4lWcYvWPSw
Timmy Gameplay 2https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0txHoBsK-FE

My version is missing a few cards that Anne J has, but the swaps don't hurt me too bad. I'd argue that Anne J should find a way to include Fellwar Stone in the deck.

This deck does all the things that I want to do. It's colorless. It ramps. It tops out with a 9/9 trampler. There's shooty robots and flyie robots. It draws hella cards. It does tricks with the Coffin. It has a sweet Sword. And is looks cool!

In the few games I've played with it this month so far, I've won with the Sword once, untapped a Colossus after damage with a Maze, killed small creatures with my Deserts, and had multiple Howling Mines on the field. Good times.

Against certain decks, feeding your opponent cards is not a great plan. The deck lacks a "come from behind" option. A theoretical sideboard would have Black Vise, Disk, and Relic Barrier.

Anne J's version of the deck uses Candelabra. It's a sweet card. I would certainly run at least one copy if I had it. There's all kinds of tricks, including double-Maze activations, double-pumping your Factories, ramping like crazy with Tron out, and more!

Almost 20 years ago, I used to play a 75-card singleton 5-color deck. We would get these crazy 10+ person group games going at my college. My goal was to be as defensive as possible. My deck didn't really do anything, but it played all the cards I liked including a signed Candelabra. I later traded this card away, but one memory I have of playing with it was in a group game where the opponent to the left of me cast a spell that allowed him to look at my top card and put it back. He looked at the card and said, "Oh, I know what you're up to." I had to wait for it to come around to my turn to find out which card was on top. It was the Candelabra. To the day, I don't know what he thought I was up to. I just used it to fix my janky 5c mana base. As with many cards I've traded away over the years, I wish I still had it.

No comments:

Post a Comment